Eligibility Criteria

Guidance notes:

All organisations should read the guidances notes before registering to submit a request:

Download Guidance Notes

These, alongside our FAQs page may answer any queries you may have.

Who can make a community benefit request?

Requests for community benefits can be made by the following:

  • Registered Charities or Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisations (SCIOs) with the Office of the Scottish Charity Register (OSCR)
  • Registered Charities or Charitable Incorporated Organisations (CIOs) with the Charities Commission for England & Wales (so long as the community benefit is undertaken within the 6 ESES local authority areas)
  • Community Interest Companies with an asset lock
  • Community Benefit Societies with an asset lock
  • Constituted, not for profit and voluntary organisations
  • Community Councils
  • Social Enterprises
  • Churches and faith-based organisations for secular activities
  • Schools, pre-schools, nurseries
  • Universities and colleges

Please note that informal groups or collectives of residents may still be able to submit requests - either in partnership with one of the above organisations, or by contacting us.


We are unable to accept the following types of requests:

  • Activities which do not deliver direct benefit within the 6 ESES local authority areas
  • The promotion of religion
  • Distribution of grants/funds to individuals or other organisations
  • Individuals
  • Requests from local, regional or government institutions for contributions to core and statutory responsibilities
  • Political parties or party-political activities
  • Foreign travel and organisations based overseas